What qualifies for a TSP Financial Hardship Withdrawal?

By October 15, 2015FERS, TSP

financial hardship withdrawal


I would like to withdrawal money from my TSP account for medical care, but I don’t think I’m old enough to take a withdraw. Is there some sort of provision for this?

What’s being referred here is a Financial Hardship Withdrawal.

To qualify for a Financial Hardship Withdraw you must have:

  • Recurring negative monthly cash flow
  • Medical expenses (including household improvements needed for medical care) that you have not yet paid and that are not covered by insurance
  • Personal casualty loss(es) that you have not yet paid and that are not covered by insurance
  • Legal expenses (such as attorneys’ fees and court costs) that you have not yet paid for separation or divorce from your spouse

Additional Requirements Include:

  • You cannot withdraw less than $1,000.
  • You may only withdraw your own contributions and any earnings those contributions have accrued.
  • If you have two separate TSP accounts — a civilian TSP account and a uniformed services account — you can only make a financial hardship withdrawal from the account associated with your active employment at the time of your withdrawal. However, if both of your accounts are associated with your active employment, you can make a financial hardship withdrawal from each account.
  • You are limited to only one financial hardship withdrawal in a 6-month period.

What are the consequences?

Your financial hardship withdrawal is subject to Federal income tax and, in some cases, state income tax. If you are younger than 59½, you may have to pay a 10% early withdrawal penalty tax. Any tax-exempt or Roth contributions included in your withdrawal are not subject to Federal income tax; neither are any qualified Roth earnings.

After making a financial hardship withdrawal, you cannot contribute to your TSP account for 6 months. If you are a FERS participant, you will not receive any Agency Matching Contributions for the period during which you are not making employee contributions. However, your Agency Automatic (1%) Contributions will continue.

If you are a member of the uniformed services, when your employee contributions from basic pay stop, any contributions from incentive pay and special pay, including bonuses, will also stop.

Much of this information was taken from TSP.GOV and you can find more information there.

– Cooper Mitchell

Author Cooper Mitchell

Hello, I'm Cooper. I am the President of and an Investment Advisor Representative for Dane Financial, LLC. I specialize in helping Federal Employees better understand their benefits and prepare for retirement through Comprehensive Financial Planning and Investment Management. When I'm not helping federal employees, you can find me focusing on other entrepreneurial pursuits, spending time with my beautiful Wife, worshipping Christ, blogging, lifting (somewhat) heavy weights, and reading non-fiction.

More posts by Cooper Mitchell